ERASMUS+, Key Action 1: youth exchange
Venue: Lasithi, Crete, Greece
Dates: 8—15 September 2023
National team: 3 participants (aged 18-30) + 1 group leader (18+)
Please read the info-pack and the daily programme.
Hosting organisation: Kyttaro Enallaktikon Anazitiseon Neon [KEAN]
Our planet is hit by a severe environmental crisis, negatively affecting human and not, life. The environmental crisis is accelerating at an unprecedented rate, and we are neither fully aware nor ready for it. From climate change to plastic waste and deforestation, the last years have delivered a lot of discouraging environmental news.
Deforestation and forest degradation are found among the most serious environmental challenges, consisting of a real threat for human life and nature, being significantly affected by climate change and at the same time negatively contributing to the phenomenon.
We all need healthy forests and young people can be part of the solution and can bring positive changes in the field, if they are sensitized and aware of the respective problems, more able and motivated to act for responding to the challenges that forests are facing. Young people can become agents of change by changing their own stances and habits but also by advocating and putting pressure for structured actions towards forest protection by all the needed parties.
“Forest Heroes” is a youth exchange project, that will be implemented in Lasithi, Crete and is organized by young people from Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Lithuania, Portugal, Czech Republic, Netherlands, and Italy. In total 32 young participants and 3 facilitators will participate in the activity.
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to forest Protection and to the fight against forest degradation and destruction by sensitizing and involving young people in the field and increasing their advocacy skills. In order to achieve this goal, it aims to:
- Sensitize young people & the European societies about forest destruction, its causes and effects
- Highlight the need for forest protection & motivate young people to act towards this direction
- Introduce advocacy as a tool for young people to contribute to forest protection and increase youngsters and youth organizations’ capacity of intervening in the field
- Create a forest protection movement and increase youth led activities implemented in the field
- Increase cooperation and understanding between young people & organizations from different countries
- Young people 18 – 30 years old, interested in exploring the issues and thematic areas of the project;
- Interested in exploring and learning more about deforestation and forest degradation which are the most serious environmental challenges, consisting a real threat for human life and nature, being significantly affected by climate change and at the same time negatively contributing to the phenomenon.
- With fewer opportunities (economic obstacles, social obstacles, cultural differences);
- With good command of the English language.
- The Group Leaders should be 18 years old and over.